[Xapian-devel] Xapian GSoC 2011 - Official Start of Coding

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon May 23 06:04:46 BST 2011

The official start of coding date - Monday 23rd May - is upon us.
Parth and Youli should have already started to make up for commitments
during the coding period, though neither of you have filled in your
journals at all, or said much on IRC, so I don't have much idea how
things are progressing.

Please make sure you make regular journal entries - it doesn't need to
be a laborious chore - for example, you can just briefly note down at
the end of each working day what you've worked on, anything achieved,
and any current obstacles:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2011/LTR/Journal
http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2011/ChineseSegmentationAnalysis/Journal

So, here's a list of what needs sorting out for each of you:

Dai Youli (atia):

You've chosen to use git I think, but have you set up a public repo to
push to yet?  If not, please set one up (feel free to ask us to help if
you aren't sure how to).  Once you have one, please link to it from your
project page:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2011/ChineseSegmentationAnalysis

Please keep your journal updated as noted above.

Please copy your project details from your application to the wiki, with
any updates:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2011/ChineseSegmentationAnalysis/ProjectPlan

Parth Gupta (parth):

I think you wanted to use SVN, so we need to set up access for you.
Please ping me on IRC so we can sort this out.

Please keep your journal updated as noted above.

The project info you've put on the wiki is great, but please could you
put a copy of the timeline (with any updates) there too:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2011/LTR/ProjectPlan

Nikita Smetanin (nsmetanin):

You've set up a public git tree on github, which is great.

Please keep your journal updated as noted above.

Please copy your project details from your application to the wiki, with
any updates:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2011/SpellingCorrectionImprovements/ProjectPlan

Xiaona Han (Sabrina):

You've set up a public git tree on github, which is great.

You've started to use the journal and the notes page, which is great -
please keep it up, with more frequent journal entries now that coding
has started.  (I added in actual dates for the ''date'' placeholders, to
show you what was intended there).

You've copied over the timeline to the wiki which is good, but it would
be good to put the rest of the project details there too (i.e.
everything from the "Project" heading onwards from your proposal in
melange).

If you need help getting to grips with updating the build machinery to
handle Lua (configure.ac and Makefile.am), please ask.

We've added a table of when you are likely to find us on IRC at the end
of this page:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2011

Please ask for assistance if you need it - it's hard for us to help you
overcome obstacles unless we know you have encountered them.  And
remember to let us know how things are going even if you are getting on
well by yourself.

Cheers,
    Olly (and the other mentors)