[Xapian-discuss] Rqt for Features 2

Eric B. Ridge ebr at tcdi.com
Thu Aug 12 00:41:33 BST 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 5:43 PM, Olly Betts wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 05:25:01PM -0400, Eric B. Ridge wrote:
>> What about (at least right-truncation) wildcard support in the
>> QueryParser?
>
> It wouldn't be very hard to add, especially if you could post the code
> you use.

it amounts to a TermIterator::skip_to() and a while() loop.  :)

> It would be good to allow control of other features too -

I'm going on vacation the first week of September (yay!).  I've got a
long flight to my destination.  I can take a stab at implementing
something at least equivalent to the basic matching I've done in java,
and then we can tweak it from there...

> There isn't one currently.  The plan is that the empty term should
> all documents to allow things like this, but my patch to do this hasn't
> made much progress recently I'm afraid...

makes sense.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Another thing I'd like to see is range searching.  Date, number, and
character ranges.  This could be done as another QueryParser thing
(syntax like "1:5" or "1...5" maybe).  I haven't yet done this in my
java-based parser but will likely be doing it soon.  What do you think
about this?  I seem to remember reading/seeing that Omega does
something special for date-range searches.

eric