[Xapian-discuss] Python or PHP hangs when loading a cygwin Xapian module

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Mar 15 01:34:30 GMT 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 02:19:21AM +0100, Thomas Deniau wrote:
> That would of course work, but that was not what I was trying to achieve :
> in the PHP case, a Cygwin PHP would require a Cygwin Apache

I think this last deduction only holds if you use mod_php.  If the php
interpreter is run as a CGI, then I don't think it does.  I know the
standard advice is that you should use mod_php instead of CGI if you
want good performance, but that really assumes you're serving
lightweight pages, not running a search.

Also, it's not a problem at all if you're using PHP from the CLI (which
I know is unusual, but PHP isn't only usable for "writing webpages" -
that's just how it's generally used).

> I think we should just say that the Xapian bindings are not supported
> on Cygwin, since there's no point in using them.

That's way too sweeping a statement since most of the supported
languages have a real life outside of a webserver.

Even if you added "PHP" between "Xapian" and "bindings", I'd say it's a
pessimistic assessment of the situation.