[Xapian-discuss] Xapian vs Lucene

Yannick Warnier ywarnier at beeznest.org
Fri Feb 2 23:28:19 GMT 2007

Le vendredi 02 février 2007 à 17:41 +0000, James Aylett a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 09:15:29AM -0800, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
>
> > >Were you using Quartz, or Flint, as your backend for the Xapian
> > >analysis?
> >
> > Flint. I was extremely impressed with it.
>
> We should start collecting quotes like this... if only to help Olly's
> ego :-)

It should still be balanced with a quote I had the other day:
"I looked at the Xapian website, and it looked like it was a page
written by a 14 years old boy, whereas the Lucene website looks very
professional".

It may look very bad when knowing that the two have the same
capabilities, but it still counts. The other day, I was pitching for an
integrated system (all GPL) for a public administration in Belgium
(around 30.000 users) and a search engine had to be included. Being part
of a small company, to make the pitch we had to get acknowledged by a
bigger-size company. They wouldn't let us even go one step with Xapian,
just because of the website appearance... Lucene was not a problem
though, and this is all because of a website.

Another quote I had was:
"From what I have read, Xapian people seem to consider their way of
treating the indexing process/algorithms as the biblical truth, that
doesn't have to be discussed, while Lucen explains a lot more what they
are doing and why".

I haven't checked the truthness of both these quotes, so I can't coment
on them, but I think they must be taken into account if Xapian wants to
get a better public image.

Yannick