[Xapian-discuss] OT: index compression

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jul 2 03:53:18 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:15:57PM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
> This came across my queue from another list.
>
> http://www2008.org/papers/pdf/p387-zhangA.pdf

Thanks for the link.

> Looks at index compression schemes. Would love to hear comments from
> those on this list.

There are some interesting ideas there.  One issue they don't consider
though (which is important for us) is being able to efficiently splice
new entries into existing posting lists (they don't look at indexing
speed at all saying it's a "one-time operation" so it seems they're
only thinking about the non-incremental case).  That's the big benefit
of the encoding we currently use for posting lists (which for flint is
what they call "vbyte").