[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 1.1.5 (release candidate for 1.2.0) released

Jean-Francois Dockes jf at dockes.org
Sat Apr 17 14:44:21 BST 2010

Olly Betts writes:
 > On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 02:44:26PM +0200, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:
 > > I've got a configure error with 1.1.5 on FreeBSD 7.3-STABLE:

 > > checking for uuid/uuid.h... no
 > > configure: error: uuid/uuid.h not found - required for brass, chert and flint (you may need to install the uuid-dev, libuuid-devel or e2fsprogs-devel package)
 > >

 > > uuid.h is in /usr/include on FreeBSD (but it's in uuid/uuid.h on macosx
 > > strangely).
 > >
 > > Also FreeBSD does not have uuid_generate(), it apparently has an equivalent
 > > function named uuid_create().
 >
 > Well, the simplest thing to do would be to install libuuid from e2fsprogs
 > (as INSTALL says).  If you can get things to work with the FreeBSD library
 > without too much nastiness, feel free to send in a patch.

Ok I'll take a look at using the FreeBSD interface when I'm back in one week.

I can indeed get things to compile by installing e2fsprogs, but I then have
to set search flags for configure like:

CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib configure

Given that uuid_generate() is not part of POSIX as far as I know, wouldn't
it be nice that configure either makes a little more effort to search for
it or provide command line options to designate the uuid library (ie:
something like --with-uuidlib=xxx) ?

Cheers,
jf