Xapian on Android?

Emmanuel Engelhart kelson at kiwix.org
Mon Aug 31 14:15:49 BST 2020

Hi Cliff

On 27.08.20 21:15, Cliff Missen wrote:
> Yes.  Something like Kiwix, but a different infrastructure and manifold
> content options.

Kiwix uses Xapian indexes everywhere (and on Android of course) and
Xapian indexes are embedded in all ZIM files produced by us.

Kiwix infrastructure is open, open source, and content agnostic. Any
points that you believe Kiwix could not achieve to do properly?

>> Now we're developing smaller libraries that will fit on smartphones, tablets, and laptops.  For example, our 16GB Ebola Pocket Library that is in the hands of hundreds of health workers in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Are these content packages downloadable somewhere? I wanted to have a
look by myself at
http://widernet.unc.edu/research/ebolalibrary/downloading-the-ebola-pocket-library/
... but the linka seem broken.

>> We seek an Android search interface that would interact with an index of ~128GB of resources.

This depends a bit about how much text you have? You probably only have
a portion of 128GB which is text. It depends as well what you want to
index (only title, first section, ...). Anyway Kiwix does already all of
this. We deal with ZIM file with the whole Stackoverflow or full Wikipedia.

>> We can create the index on more powerful machines with any OS in our development lab, but need to provide the end users with tools to search that index on their devices.

Xapian can do that and Kiwix does that with Xapian. All the tools to
build that indexes are open source and even Dockerized. Our ZIM building
infrastructure is even online, look at http://farm.openzim.org/.

That said, this is still something we are tuning and continuously
improving. Things are not that trivial!

Regards
Emmanuel
--