YottaDB as a data store for Xapian

K.S. Bhaskar bhaskar at yottadb.com
Thu Feb 13 17:25:13 GMT 2020

By way of introduction, I manage YottaDB (https://yottadb.com and
https://gitlab.com/YottaDB). The core of YottaDB is a hierarchical
key-value datastore
(https://docs.yottadb.com/MultiLangProgGuide/cprogram.html and
https://gitlab.com/YottaDB/DB/YDB). The code base is mature (in daily
production use since 1986), and very performant, with strongly ACID
transactions, and replication (to ensure transaction serialization
performance, updates are done on a single node and propagated; if ACID
transactions are not important, there are other ways to propagate
updates between nodes).

YottaDB is 100% FOSS, licensed under AGPL v3 with a clarification
(https://gitlab.com/YottaDB/DB/YDB/-/blob/master/LICENSE) that software
which uses YottaDB is not considered a covered work. So if you make
changes to YottaDB itself, your changes must follow AGPL v3, but if you
write software that uses YottaDB, you can use any license  you want,
FOSS or proprietary.

As one of our users has suggested that YottaDB would make a good data
store for Xapian, I am writing to explore this idea. On a system where
YottaDB is installed, using it is just a matter of compiling a program
including the YottaDB header file. So, if Xapian has an abstraction
layer for the data store, perhaps we can add a software shim to Xapian
that allows it to use YottaDB. I poked around the Xapian source code
repository, but such an abstraction layer did not jump out at me.

Questions, comments, concerns, and reactions sought and gratefully
accepted. Thank you very much.

Regards
– Bhaskar (yes, it's my last name, but that's what everyone calls me)

K.S. Bhaskar
President, YottaDB LLC
40 Lloyd Avenue, Suite 104
Malvern, PA 19355, USA
bhaskar at yottadb.com
https://yottadb.com

--
YottaDB - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. Pick any three.