[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] Changes in www.xapian.org/ www.xapian.org/.scripts/

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Dec 10 10:57:18 GMT 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 01:39:03AM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

> > Assuming Gmane supports gzip and conditional fetching (which it
> > should), a robust implementation shouldn't be too hard.
>
> For example:
>
> http://rss.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.devel

You might want to mention to Lars that it's returning as text/xml,
which is a bad idea because of the default encoding for
text/*. application/xml is a better idea (and is, I believe, the
mandated MIME type for the RSS 1.0 spec anyway).

Hmm. The <title> elements all look wrong to me. Totally wrong :-/

> I checked conditional fetching (i.e. specifying "If-Modified-Since:")
> and that definitely works.  Specifying "Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate"
> didn't turn on compression, but perhaps I got the runes wrong.

I checked with LiveHttpHeaders, and it definitely doesn't work. I
think all that's needed is to provide .gz versions and enable content
negotiation in Apache. Or there's libgzip, but I've never got that
working properly.

> I'll mention it to Lars, but anyway conditional fetching is much
> more important for us since most of the time the file will be
> unchanged.

Indeed. In PHP I think the best way of doing it is to use CURL. It's
possible that there's something in PEAR, but I don't have that much
faith in it myself.