[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] Changes in xapian/xapian-bindings/

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue May 11 22:03:27 BST 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 08:11:23PM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
>   Also, change tests for non-zeroness of interpreter paths to tests
>   for existence and executability of interpreter paths: this is
>   relevant if configure is passed an interpreter path by the user
>   which doesn't exist (as my debian packaging makefile just did).

A problem is that "test -x" isn't portable, at least according to the
goat book - see the bottom of this page:

http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_216.html

I don't know which platforms it isn't supported on, but this message
suggests it's not a totally academic concern:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2002-12/msg00098.html

With your fix to use $PYTHON instead of python, test -x isn't actually
needed AFAICS - the case statement will just get empty stdout and so the
bindings will be disabled.  I tested "./configure TCLSH=/no/such/path"
and tcl8 doesn't get put in SUBDIRS in Makefile.

Are you OK with reverting this?