[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] Changes in xapian/xapian-bindings/ xapian/xapian-bindings/python/docs/

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Oct 23 01:26:15 BST 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 08:25:00AM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 05:45:42PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > Log message:
> > python/docs/bindings.html: Remove documentation explicitly saying
> > how we wrap Xapian::QueryParser and Xapian::Stem since we wrap them
> > exactly as we wrap everything else we don't mention!
>
> The point of this comment was to highlight that they exist within the
> same module; in C++ (unless you use the somewhat OTT xapian.h)

The headers which xapian.h includes are really just an implementation
detail - I wouldn't expect user code to include them directly.

> they are somewhat separated from the rest of the Xapian core.

Stem has always been declared by including xapian.h.

QueryParser is somewhat separate, I admit - for historical reasons.
That's one of the things I was thinking we should fix when the interface
gets tidied up (the header that is - there are perhaps better arguments
for a separate library).

Because of the PIMPL design, we don't have much code in our headers
compared to some C++ headers, so the overhead of including them isn't
large.

With the headers uncached, ixion takes 1.026s to compile xapian.h (GCC
2.95.4).  Once they're in the OS cache, that drops to 0.087s.  And it's
not as if ixion is cutting edge technology.