[Xapian-devel] InMemory backend

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Sep 9 02:28:58 BST 2004

I've just added a feature test for the new WritableDatabase methods -
replace_document() and delete_document() with a unique term.  This
initially failed for inmemory due to bugs in the backend.  They weren't
trivial to fix and my initial attempt at a fix caused other tests to
fail.

I've come to the conclusion that the code there probably should be
retired.  It was written early on for testing purposes, so it isn't
coded with efficiency in mind and doesn't fully anticipate what is now
built above it.

It is useful to be able to open small temporary databases in memory,
but I think from a performance and from a code maintenance point of
view we'd be better off providing an alternative lower level for
quartz which uses memory instead of disk to store the Btree.  Or
perhaps replaces the Btree with a suitable map<>, but I think
a lower level is more appropriate.

Thoughts?