[Xapian-devel] Problem with Perl bindings (enquire)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Jul 15 02:26:21 BST 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 02:11:36AM +0200, R. Mattes wrote:
> I first thought that this would be caused by a missing wrapper in
> Search::Xapian::WritableDatabase but when i duplicate the code from
> Search::Xapian::Database i get the following error:
>
>   Search::Xapian::Enquire::new() -- databases is not a
>   "Search::Xapian::Database" object at ./indexer.pl line 241.

Instead (or maybe as well) you'll need to tell Perl that
WritableDatabase is a subclass of Database.  To do this edit
Xapian/WritableDatabase.pm and add 'Search::Xapian::Database' to "@ISA".

Let me know if you find out what's required to get this working...

> This is pretty disappointing since fetching a document by index-term
> is rather neccessary during indexing -- or how should one fetch a document
> to replace it during re-indexing without enquires to the database?

No, it should work as you expect - it's just not wrapped correctly at
the moment.