[Xapian-devel] SVN trunk

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Jun 17 13:16:50 BST 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:34:29PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> This doesn't build on G++ 3.0 - are we still trying to support that?
> If not, I'll have to get a more recent toolchain sorted out.

WorksForMe(tm):

http://oligarchy.co.uk/tinderbox/xapian/status.html

shows successful builds for both g++ (which is 2.95.4) and g++-3.0
on ixion.

Generally, I'm trying to support any compiler which only requires minor
code tweaks.  GCC >= 2.95, and the Intel, Sun, HP (aCC), and SGI
compilers have built successfully recently.  Sun's is the most annoying
and requires quite a few #ifdef-s because it can't initialise a
container from a pair of iterators.

Compaq's C++ compiler (cxx) doesn't work, probably because of poor C++ template
support - this cut down example fails to compile:

  #include <xapian/base.h>

  class Query {
    class Internal;
    Xapian::Internal::RefCntPtr<Internal> internal;
    template <class SubQ> Query(SubQ q) : internal(0) { }
  };

Someone reported being able to build with MSVC with a few changes, but
I never received the offered patches.  I should chase that up in case the
mail was eaten by a spam filter or something.