[Xapian-devel] Solaris bindings

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Jun 24 11:36:04 BST 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:21:54AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

[Linking in Linux->Solaris NFS]
> For libtool, you just need to set LN_S once, but I'm not sure this
> rather obscure corner case is worth a lot of work.  Building on NFS
> is typically slow, so most people will use local disk instead anyway.

That's a little extreme. We're running NFS for all our data over
NFS.ip to a NetApp and it's faster than most SCSI setups.

It's not worth it because it only happens in the Linux->Solaris case,
as far as I know.

> > Other than that, I have core, python, PHP and Java bindings built and
> > passing tests on Solaris 9 with the 0.9.1 release, which can go into
> > PLATFORMS presumably.
>
> I've not tracked xapian-bindings builds so far, mostly due to the
> potential combinatorial explosion of version combinations!  I do
> have a (currently very short) list of Java toolchains which the java
> bindings are known to work with (which is currently "Debian packages of
> GCJ 3.4 and GIJ 3.4").  Which Java were you using?

java version "1.4.1_01a"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01a-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01a-b01, mixed mode)

It would be nice to be able to report xapian-bindings against the
latest version of the different languages. Unfortunately we're usually
behind a little - Python 2.3.3 and PHP 4.3.2 at the moment (and
obviously Java is out of date too).

> Generally for PLATFORMS I check xapian-core builds and passes "make
> check" and that omega builds.

Haven't checked omega, but I'll get to it in time.

> PLATFORMS already has Solaris 9 with GCC 3.3.2 and Sun C++ 5.5 (both
> sparc and x86).  What compiler version were you using?

3.3.2, so not helpful. We should be moving to 3.4 or even 4.0 soon,
though. I'm also hoping to get a Solaris 10/sparc box up and running
soon.

OpenSolaris suggests they'll be opening up Sun C++ at some point in
the next six months or so, incidentally.