[Xapian-devel] SVN migration

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Mar 24 17:47:23 GMT 2005

I'm currently working out how best to use cvs2svn to convert the CVS
repo.

I'm wondering if we want to strip out some of the tags - in particular
the old snapshot_* tags.  These mark points when the code was know to
bootstrap and pass "make distcheck" on x86 linux, but the newest is
2001/04/24 - back in the BrightStation days!  In the unlikely event that
anyone really cares, they can use the old CVS tree.  Or perhaps we
shouldn't keep serving that to avoid confusion.

I'm not totally decided myself.  Converting both with and
without the snapshot tags gives repo sizes of 92508K and 90500K
so there probably is a small overhead in having them around.

There are a few other tags which are arguably junk at this point.

It does occur to me that these tags would simply correspond to an
SVN revision number, but it's not obvious to me how to find out
which.  If that's possible, we could just dump out a text file
mapping the probably unwanted tags to revision numbers.

And it's probably also worthwhile renaming some tags (CVS limits
characters which can be used in a tag name.  In particular "." isn't
allowed and they must start with a letter, so the version tags are e.g.
"v0-8-5" when "0.8.5" would be more natural.

Cheers,
    Olly