[Xapian-devel] omindex and scriptindex question

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Mar 31 11:24:38 BST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:29:20AM -0500, info at bannershift.com wrote:
> While indexing text with omindex.cc possition of terms is saved with gap.
> This is not happening with scriptindex.cc
> While this is happening ?

The gaps are added to avoid a phrase (or NEAR) matching across the last
word(s) of one field and the first word(s) of the next.

It's a bug that scriptindex doesn't add them too, really.  I'll fix that
once I've finished the move from CVS to SVN.

> Another question is why in omindex.cc the term possition starts with 0 while
> in scriptindex it starts from 1 ?

Because it isn't important where positions start - only the relative
positions really matter.

Actually, you have the situation reversed.  It's omindex which starts
from 1, scriptindex from 0.