[Xapian-devel] Available backends in xapian.h

Michael Schlenker schlenk at uni-oldenburg.de
Wed May 4 16:08:09 BST 2005

franz.g at tin.it wrote:
> Hi Olly (and all),
>
> you wrote:
>
> For instance, Tcl/Tk can generate some ambiguities:
> there is also an official Win32 package, but I guess there are many MinGW/MSYS
> users out there that installed the package from the MSYS distribution.
Most windows users of Tcl/Tk use either the ActiveState Tcl
distribution, a self-built core (using mingw or MSVC or very seldom
BorlandC), or just a Tclkit runtime (which has no tclConfig.sh).

> Probably
> the latter would be the one that configuration scripts will consider first.
> To break ambiguity, many variables can be decided after sourcing tclConfig.sh
> (and tkConfig.sh), that are part of the distribution: the user could possibly
> choose a path to tclConfig.sh in the configuration step.

The usual setup for other Tcl extensions is a
--with-tcl=/path/to/lib/containing/tclConfig.sh
switch to configure, sometimes combined with a --with-tcl-include= to
find the correct tcl.h file
(as it is not versioned and the user may have multiple Tcl installations
on his box (i for example have about 20 different Tcl installations on a
single box... for testing), no problem if a --with-tcl switch is present)

Michael