[Xapian-devel] Available backends in xapian.h

franz.g at tin.it franz.g at tin.it
Sat May 7 00:03:24 BST 2005

>> Is there an easy way to get python to tell us what the character
>> should be?  It seems messy to have our own logic to decide based on
>> the OS we're running under.

Sorry, I completely missed the fact that it was a question: my english is
still too bad, and I was still too busy trying to manually modify the makefiles
in order to see what configure has to give as a result for a successful
build.

However this makes me think that you can convert the prefix using the same
pattern:

On win32 you have:

C:\Documents and Settings\Franz>python -c "import os,sys;print sys.prefix.replace(os.sep,
'/')"
C:/Development/python-2.3

C:\Documents and Settings\Franz>

While on UNIX:

[franz at discovery franz]$ python -c "import os,sys;print sys.prefix.replace(os.sep,
'/')"
/opt/python-2.3
[franz at discovery franz]$

(a Solaris box with a nonstandard Python installation). Unfortunately there
are still some open questions, such as the directory structure (but that's
probably an easy one) and the DLL format: it's different from ELF libraries
in the sense that you have to explicitly link all needed libraries (for
instance, -lpython23) or you get undefined symbol errors.

I'm trying to find a solution or at least a workaround. I'm using last night's
checkout, and xapian-core now bootstraps and builds perfectly.

Cheers,

F.