[Xapian-devel] Available backends in xapian.h

Francesco Garosi franz.g at tin.it
Wed May 11 00:27:24 BST 2005

Hi Olly,

>What're the problems?

the failing applications in xapian-applications are:

1) cvssearch
I used a fresh installation of BerkeleyDB, built from source (the one provided
for Win32 is only for MSVC). There is a small issue with this and MinGW:
the user has to manually specify -DHAVE_CXX_STDHEADERS before configuring
(plus all other CFLAGS and LDFLAG if "db" is not installed where expected),
because MinGW does not provide "exception.h" but "exception". Here is the
failed step:

make[1]: Entering directory `/c/Projects/MANAGED/xapian-0.9.0svn/xapian-applications/cvssearch/db'
if /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"cvssearch\"
2.0\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"cvssearch\" -DVERSION=\"2.0\"
-DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1  -I. -I.    -I/c/Projects/MANAGED/xapian-0.9.0svn/xapian-core/include
-I/c/Projects/MANAGED/xapian-0.9.0svn/xapian-core/extra -IC:/Development/berkeleydb-4.3/include
-DHAVE_CXX_STDHEADERS -MT cvs_filename_db.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/cvs_filename_db.Tpo"
-c -o cvs_filename_db.lo cvs_filename_db.C; \
then mv -f ".deps/cvs_filename_db.Tpo" ".deps/cvs_filename_db.Plo"; else
rm -f ".deps/cvs_filename_db.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
 g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"cvssearch\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"cvssearch\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"2.0\"
"-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"cvssearch 2.0\"" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"cvssearch\"
-DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -I. -I. -I/c/Projects/MANAGED/xapian-0.9.0svn/xapian-core/include
-I/c/Projects/MANAGED/xapian-0.9.0svn/xapian-core/extra -IC:/Development/berkeleydb-4.3/include
-DHAVE_CXX_STDHEADERS -MT cvs_filename_db.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/cvs_filename_db.Tpo
-c cvs_filename_db.C  -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC -o .libs/cvs_filename_db.o
cvs_filename_db.C: In member function `int cvs_filename_db::count(unsigned
cvs_filename_db.C:48: error: no matching function for call to `Db::stat(DB_BTREE_STAT**,
C:/Development/berkeleydb-4.3/include/db_cxx.h:261: note: candidates are:
virtual int Db::stat(DbTxn*, void*, u_int32_t)
make[1]: *** [cvs_filename_db.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Projects/MANAGED/xapian-0.9.0svn/xapian-applications/cvssearch/db'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I checked the header file, and that is really the only version: no #ifdef
or similar conditions. Maybe you use another version.

2) queryserver
This was due to fail: the possible clue is

source/queryserver.cpp:34:24: sys/select.h: No such file or directory
source/queryserver.cpp:36:22: sys/wait.h: No such file or directory
source/queryserver.cpp:43:20: sys/un.h: No such file or directory

which is the reason to remove support for the remote backend, isn't it?
There are then a plethora of errors which depend on these.

3) xapview
It probably has to be bootstrapped with the other applications (just adding
it in the 'modules' line in the bootstrap script). However the bootstrap
script isues some - fatal? - warnings:

aclocal:configure.ac:20: warning: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library
aclocal:configure.ac:21: warning: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
aclocal:configure.ac:22: warning: macro `AM_PATH_LIBGLADE' not found in

The GTK distribution that comes with GIMP, completed with the development
package, in its aclocal directory does not contain any file defining these

Apart from this, everything else builds perfectly just bootstrapping the
SVN (6182) distribution. Actually I cheated: I have to avoid building the
documentation, since the native Win32 tools (doxygen, graphviz) are not
able to perform all the tasks.

The xapian-bindings only enable Python, but probably I'll have to try to
force the modules for Tcl and PHP: it's quite common to use MS Windows to
develop in these languages.

I hope this will help somehow...



More information about the Xapian-devel mailing list