[Xapian-devel] Available backends in xapian.h

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Wed May 11 10:36:21 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 01:02 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> > 2) queryserver
> > This was due to fail: the possible clue is
> >
> > source/queryserver.cpp:34:24: sys/select.h: No such file or directory
> > source/queryserver.cpp:36:22: sys/wait.h: No such file or directory
> > source/queryserver.cpp:43:20: sys/un.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > which is the reason to remove support for the remote backend, isn't it?
> > There are then a plethora of errors which depend on these.
>
> Unfortunately queryserver is very unixy.  It's not been officially
> released, and it's Richard's creation, so I've just disabled it in the
> linux->mingw cross build in the tinderbox.

I'd be quite happy for queryserver to be removed, actually.  I wrote it
for a specific project, which I would now write in python if I had to do
it again (the python bindings weren't really working at the time I wrote
it).  I'm not going to be supporting this, and it's not a particularly
efficient implementation of a queryserver.

Is anyone actually using this?

> I think xapview is probably close to dead wood at this point.  As well
> as the GTK version issue, it was written for libglade 0.17 and the
> current libglade version is 2.5.1 or so, so I doubt it'll compile
> without work.
>
> It's a nice idea to have a GUI example, but maintaining the GUI part of
> the code could be more effort than it is worth.  Perhaps using something
> like wxPython might be the best approach if we think it's worth having.
> That would work on Windows too without much extra effort.

Having written some applications in wxPython, and also in the python
bindings to Gtk, I can say that writing something in either of these
shouldn't be too hard, and the result would be a lot easier to maintain
than the current GUI example.  Of course, someone has to get round to
doing it... IIRC, xapview was originally written in the very early days
of Omsee development, and has only been fixed up once or twice since
then.

--
Richard Boulton <richard at tartarus.org>