[Xapian-devel] ANN: Alpha Ruby bindings for Xapian now available

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Apr 19 22:55:35 BST 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 05:55:35PM -0300, Paul Legato wrote:
> We've been looking for a search engine to integrate with our Rails
> applications. Xapian seems to be the most robust and mature of any open
> source solution out there. But, there were no Ruby bindings. So... I've
> started work on Ruby SWIG bindings for Xapian.

Ooh, excellent.  I was putting together a list of potential projects for
people who might be interested in getting involved in Xapian development
only two days ago, and Ruby bindings was one of the 6 things I came up
with:

http://wiki.xapian.org/HelpWanted

Incidentally, feel free to add more entries, but bear in mind this is
intended for people who don't know Xapian's internals intimately (but
we could have a separate page listing those if it seems useful), and
please don't use it just to pimp your pet wishlist item!

> There is still a lot to be done to make this binding production ready. I
> am no SWIG expert, so please let me know if there is an easier/better
> way to do things than what I've done. I've been drawing heavily from the
> Python and PHP util.i files.

I've had a quick look.  The main thing I can probably help you with
right now is slotting it into the build system so you can just type
"make" to rebuild it!

> I will be in #xapian on irc.freenode.net if anyone wants to discuss. Any
> suggestions, testing, feedback, or (especially) code contributions are
> welcome!

OK, I might try to find you a bit later.