[Xapian-devel] Xapian-core on AIX

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Apr 24 16:28:05 BST 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 04:15:31PM +0200, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:
> I have an old IBM workstation around and, just for the "fun" of it, I built
> xapian-core 0.9.2 on AIX 5.2 with gcc 3.3.2 (from the IBM AIX support site).

Thanks for trying.

> The software builds without problems, except for the link of the shared
> library which does not work at all. Libtool fails to build the .so file
> out of the .a archives. I tried both with libtool 1.3 and 1.5.22.

Hmm, Xapian 0.9.2 was bootstrapped with libtool 1.5.18.  Did you force
it to use libtool 1.5.22, or did you just install libtool 1.5.22?  If
the latter, it'll still be using libtool 1.5.18.  I can't imagine it
would even slightly work with libtool 1.3.

The thing to check is "./libtool --version" from the unpacked
xapian-core source directory.

> I was able to build the shared library "by hand" (listing the object files
> on the command line), and the result seemed to work normally (I only
> performed minimal testing).

Did you try "make check"?