[Xapian-devel] Xapian-core on AIX

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Apr 25 00:47:09 BST 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:04:12AM +0200, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:
> It doesn't want to link 'apitest'. Here is what I get:
>  ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: vtable for Xapian::TradWeight
>  ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: vtable for Xapian::BM25Weight
>
> This is quite strange because recollindex and delve do link, as do some of
> the other xxxtest programs ...

Probably only apitest actually tries to use those two classes.

> Anyway, this is probably not interesting because I redid the build with
> xapian-core 0.9.5 and this goes through normally (this seems to use libtool
> 1.5.22, and it apparently fixes the problem).

Good - the changelog for 1.5.22 contained what sounded like a likely AIX
fix.

> However, make check doesn't pass. There is a core file in the tests
> directory.
>
> I'm appending  the output from make check. I'm not sure if it's worth
> pursuing the issue until someone actually asks for xapian on AIX ?

Nobody's ever expressed interest before, so you're probably right.  I'll
note the result in PLATFORMS for now.  It sounds rather like it's an
issue with the build environment, in which case it may start working in
the future.

> By the way, large file support does not work (cstdio does not compile),
> this appears to be a known problem of gnu STL on AIX, I don't know if there
> is a workaround. I configured xapian with --disable-largefile.

OK, I'll note that too.  What architecture is AIX running on ('uname -a'
should say)?