[Xapian-devel] Re: Xapian jni

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Dec 28 23:46:41 GMT 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 11:45:09AM -0500, Alex Kushkuley wrote:
> What do you think about Xapian web service?

It would probably be useful to have.  I think it would be best to
implement as a layer on top of Xapian (similarly to how the bindings are
in many ways).

There are actually currently a couple of "web service"-ish features you
might want to look at:

* You can use omega's "xml" OmegaScript template to give XML output
  (with an arbitrary format Sam made up!)  There's also an "opensearch"
  template which gives XML output in the OpenSearch RSS format.  The
  reason we have both is that the "xml" template predates the OpenSearch
  format (and includes some extra information so it seems unhelpful to
  remove it).

* There's also Richard's queryserver which you can find in SVN, or in
  the automatic snapshots:

  http://www.oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/trunk/

  It claims to be "0.8.4" because nobody has been bumping the version
  with each Xapian release.  It used to be in the tinderbox builds but
  I turned it off as the code hadn't been updated for some time so it
  seemed a waste of resources to rebuild it so frequently.  But it
  should build against Xapian 0.9.9.  Currently this only has a PHP
  client, but the client is only 130 lines of PHP so it would be pretty
  easy to write clients for other languages.