[Xapian-devel] Re: Building Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Feb 20 12:29:53 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:19:27AM -0500, Josh Rabinowitz wrote:
> [[ THIS is OFFLIST ]]

It really is much better to email one of the lists rather than mailing
an individual developer directly.  If I'm busy or away and so unable to
answer list mail, I won't be magically able to answer a mail just
because it was sent to a different address, whereas if you mail the list
someone else will probably be able to help.

You also managed to mail me at an address I don't advertise to the
outside world, so ended up in my big bucket of spam for several days I'm
afraid...

> I've tried to build the 'cutting edge' svn version of Xapian, but had trouble
> with the automake/autoconf/libtool toolchain. What OS and version do you
> develop on?  Perhaps the easiest way for me to get xapian dev builds going
> would be to replicate your scenario.

The HACKING file in the top-level of the xapian-core sources should
detail everything you need to know.  I personally develop primarily on
Linux (Debian and Ubuntu), but any reasonably up-to-date Unix-like OS
should be fine for development.

If there's something HACKING doesn't cover, let us know and we'll try to
fix that.