[Xapian-devel] opensearch template

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jan 3 17:41:25 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 05:15:07PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 05:00:26PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> > But reading the spec, it does say that any HTML in the description tag
> > should be escaped once, or enclosed as CDATA:
> >
> > http://opensearch.a9.com/docs/devfaq.jsp#html
> >
> > Since we seem to be using RSS instead of ATOM, I think that means we
> > need a $html{ } around the contents of the description tag.
>
> If you do, the < and > in the $highlight{...} need to change to
> < and > respectively, or you'll have "double escaped" them.

I think the double escaping is correct.

If we search for "1" and a description is:

1 < 2

Then $highlight produces (assuming we're using <b>...</b> to highlight):

<b>1</b> < 2

And the opensearch response will contain:

<description><b>1</b> &lt; 2</description>

Then the code handling the opensearch response unescapes the contents of
<description> and gets:

<b>1</b> < 2

Which is correct.  If "<" were "<" from $highlight, at this point
we'd have "<b>1</b> < 2" which is broken HTML.

Or am I missing something?

> In theory we can re-work opensearch over Atom, but you get into fiddly
> areas because Atom requires GUIDs. There wasn't enough interest on the
> Atom list to get anywhere with the idea, as far as I can tell (and
> neither Richard nor I have had time).

I think it's been done now - the opensearch site talks about use with
RSS or Atom anyway.

> The opensearch template isn't really finished - it was more a quick
> hack to see how fiddly it would be.

OK, but we really shouldn't be shipping stuff with missing escaping.
That's where XSS security holes come from...