[Xapian-devel] Initial patch for ExternalPostList

Rusty Conover rconover at infogears.com
Sat Jun 3 01:24:12 BST 2006

Hi Everybody,

Here is the first version of my match for an ExternalPostList, it
should apply cleanly to 0.9.5 and 0.9.6.

You can use it by first implementing an ExternalPostingSource, then
creating a new Query object passing a reference an instance of your
implementation to the constructor, see query.h. The
ExternalPostingSource implementation is reference counted, so when
its no longer needed it can clean itself up.

It works well for filtering results but it has a problem that once it
filters all of the results are returned with 100% relevancy. I'm not
quite sure how to fix that but I think its because I just used the
default weight implementations in matcher/externalsourcepostlist.h.
Any hints or patches to fix that so it works correctly would be
greatly appreciated.

Also the use of an ExternalPostList query breaks the network method
of transmitting queries, I haven't written code to serialize the post
list or even decide if that's worth doing.

I realize there has been some stylistic license taken with the
formatting of this patch. I didn't pay much attention to following
existing indentation and bracket rules and what not.  If you're up
for including this into the release branch, I'd be glad to take the
time and clean it up even further.

Thanks for all of your help,

Rusty
--