[Xapian-devel] Building Xapian on Windows

bear bear42 at code-bear.com
Thu Mar 16 17:26:20 GMT 2006

Olly Betts wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 01:50:59AM -0500, bear wrote:
>
>> It seems that since I used a MSVC build of python (version 2.4) and that
>> I'm doing a cygwin build of xapian I will have nothing but grief.  :)
>>
> Yes, experience so far suggests that's not a viable combination.

:(
>> Has Xapian been built using MSVC?  Or is there something I can do to
>> build the bindings?
>>

> It has - Ulrik Petersen got 0.9.1 to compile.  I integrated most of the
> required changes (or fixed issues a different way) but things stalled
> when I went away on holiday and we failed to pick it up again when I got
> back.
>
> So you may find the latest code just works on MSVC, but I suspect there
> will be a few things that MSVC will fail to cope with.
>
> Anyway, here's Ulrik's patched source tree for 0.9.1 which you may find
> useful:
>
> http://ulrikp.org/Xapian-Win32-2005-06-30.zip
>
> Patches to fix problems in the code are welcome, but I'm not willing (or
> indeed able) to maintain a whole parallel build system solely for MSVC.
> MSVC either needs to use the existing one, or someone needs to volunteer
> to maintain a build system just for it.
>
> Coincidentally, I think Richard and Charlie are about to look at an MSVC
> build of Xapian.

Thanks for the information and the small glimmer of hope that it's at
least possible :)

If not I'll start one but having even an older one will save a lot of
up-front work.

The project I help do builds for needs this for their windows solution
so I may end up doing this and I'll be more than happy to share any
information and contribute patches back.

thanks again,
bear