[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] 8181: trunk/xapian-bindings/ trunk/xapian-bindings/python/

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Wed Apr 11 13:47:45 BST 2007

Olly Betts wrote:
>> Ah.  It wouldn't be that hard to put the error messages back (just by
>> adding an extra argument to each checking function).
>
> That would certainly be useful.

Done.

>> Alternatively, I could improve the error reporting, and make it just
>> display the exception message and quote the lines of code around each
>> the error failure, instead of displaying a raw traceback.
>
> That sounds like a difficult solution to a simple problem!

Actually, it's pretty easy in Python, and the output is much more
helpful (to my eyes at least), so I've done that too.

>> I could also make it report the xapian version number.
>
> That's not a bad idea (though I'm sure some people will manage to
> trim down the error report to exclude it...)

I've put a message in to try and persuade them not to.

> Well, it makes it slightly easier to add a slightly less useful test.
> If you can't clearly express what's being tested, it seems it'll be hard
> to actually write the test.

Fair point.

> A second "language specific" set of tests isn't a bad idea.

I'll add one when I get a chance to work on the iterators further.

> They are somewhat out-of-step, but that's a bug not a feature!  Nobody
> else seems very interested in adding a test to more than one language
> (and even if they were, I'm not sure we can realistically demand a
> complete set of feature tests for any newly wrapped feature - few people
> are fluent enough in all the languages).

I'll try and update tests for more languages in future - I didn't even
realise it was a goal.

 > But occasionally I go through
> and fill in missing tests for other languages, and that is much easier
> if the structure is similar in each case.

Indeed.

--
Richard