[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] 8229: trunk/xapian-core/ trunk/xapian-core/api/

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Apr 13 10:52:47 BST 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 10:32:21AM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
> olly wrote:
> >api/version.cc: Simpler and cleaner fix - the prototypes for the
> >version functions had moved from xapian/version.h to xapian.h so we
> >were including the wrong header and not seeing the prototypes with
> >visibility markup!
>
> Ah! I get it now - I couldn't work out why we weren't having this
> problem all over the place if the definition needed the attribute as
> well as the declaration.  Of course, the actual situation is that the
> definition just needs to have been preceded by a declaration with the
> attribute.

The actual mechanics are presumably that the compiler needs to know
about the visibility attribute when actually compiling the
function/method, since that's when it records it in the object file.

Your fix was very useful though, because it wasn't until I saw it that I
realised that this was the problem!