[Xapian-devel] Deprecation

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Tue Apr 17 10:17:19 BST 2007

Yesterday I updated the deprecation.rst document such that I think it
contains all the items which are slated for deprecation (and also
contains full details of the upgrade suggestions, as Olly suggested).

I've marked several things which have been deprecated for a long period
of time (ie, since 0.9.0 or earlier) for removal in 1.0.0, in line with
the policy outlined in the document.  If possible, I'd like anyone
interested to check over this list over the next few days, so that we
can get started on actually removing the functions to be removed in 1.0.0.

I've also marked items in the bindings which should be deprecated: most
of these have been marked as "out-of-date" in xapian.i for ages, but not
clearly documented publically, so it's perhaps a bit more controversial
whether they should be removed now.  On the other hand, the bindings
have been less stable than the core until now, and it would be easier to
remove them at the same time as removing the equivalent from the core.

Finally, I'm not convinced that the replacement for Stem::stem_word() of
using operator() will work for all the bindings - checking whether it
can be accessed from PHP, Ruby, Tcl8, and CSharp would be useful
(ideally, changing smoketest and the examples to demonstrate how).  It
works in Python, though. ;-)

--
Richard