[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] 8287: trunk/xapian-core/

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Thu Apr 19 11:39:08 BST 2007

Olly Betts wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 02:59:19PM +0100, richard wrote:
>> HACKING: Minimal changes to make this into valid restructured
>> text.
>
> It's cute that minimal changes are required to do that, but is this
> really useful?

I found the HTML generated from the new HACKING file much easier to
read; and in particular, the hyperlinks make it easier to navigate.  I
thought it would be good to get all the documentation like this up on
the website (eventually), and presenting files like this as HTML would
be a lot nicer.

> Now when I load HACKING into vim it displays the last 100+ lines in
> inverse video, which it didn't do before.  That actually makes this
> document harder to read for probably the most common way of reading
> it...

For some reason, this doesn't happen on my vim - it doesn't turn syntax
highlighting on for that file automatically.  But if I manually set the
highlighting mode to rst, I see the problem - it actually looks like a
bug in vim's restructured text highlighting mode.

I've added a rst-comment to the end of the file, which will hopefully
turn syntax highlighting off, since it's broken anyway.  That directive
doesn't work for me either; I think there must be something in my .vimrc
which takes precedence.  But hopefully it will work for you.

--
Richard