[Xapian-devel] Patch for database code

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Apr 23 17:46:02 BST 2007

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 05:24:26PM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
> Olly Betts wrote:
> >I think I'll just simplify the code by assuming that we have two bases
> >everywhere, rather than jumping through hoops to try to support a
> >feature we never use.
>
> Are we not still hoping to get that feature implemented at some stage?
> Or do you think it would be too tricky, so we should wait for an
> entirely new backend?

I think it's not likely to happen until after this code has been
replaced by the new Btree manager.

However, the change I'm currently bootstrapping simplifies the code
and removes some assumptions about the number of bases, since I saw
an easy way to do that.

> I'm coming up with more and more situations where I could do with
> read-locked old versions, because of making frequent small
> modifications.  I know it's a fair bit of work to add support for
> multiple revisions, but I was hoping to get round to it sooner rather
> than later...

It would certainly be nice to eliminate DatabaseModifiedError.

Cheers,
    Olly