[Xapian-devel] Build problems

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Feb 13 09:53:31 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 08:19:18AM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

> I've just checked, and the current state is that the cached databases
> are deleted when a particular backend is selected.  The consequence
> is that you shouldn't really encounter this problem, except in
> the case where the ".flint" databases are hosed or an older version and
> you run apitest with "-b remotetcp" or "-b remote", which uses the
> databases in ".flint" (you can do this implicitly with "make check-remote").
> If you weren't doing that, I can't see how it failed...

The automatic stuff runs with -b remotetcp and -b remote at various
points, doesn't it? It mean, it says it's running with remotetcp and
remote, and that's when it failed...

> Nuking on failure is problematic, since it prevents you inspecting the
> database which can be helpful in working out why a test failed.

Suppress nuking on -v?

> > Oh... it doesn't cope with a heavily loaded machine? So it isn't
> > waiting long enough for the listening message. It's working for me
> > now, and we were under heavy load earlier...
>
> There are timeouts on connection and responses, but those used in the
> testsuite are set to 5 minutes so as to not fail just because you're
> using a slower machine.  If the load is insane, then they could I guess.

Hmm. That's not it, then.

> Perhaps ixion actually ran out of VM or processes?

Possibly.

> What was the actual error message apitest gave?

I can't remember in detail, but I think it was something like
"couldn't find 'Listening' in output".