[Xapian-devel] Build problems

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Feb 13 10:36:11 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:11:46AM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

> If you run "make check", then no -b option is passed and all backends
> which are enabled are used, but flint is run before remote and remotetcp
> so the .flint directory should be up to date.

Oh, I see.

> Hmm, I wonder if the issue is remotetest not apitest.  That gets run
> before apitest, but probably relies on .flint being up to date.

Aha. That could well be it.

> Really remotetest should just be merged into apitest at this point.  It
> used to be separate mostly because apitest didn't test the remotetcp
> backend, but it now does.  I'll sort that out.

Cool.

> > > Nuking on failure is problematic, since it prevents you inspecting the
> > > database which can be helpful in working out why a test failed.
> > Suppress nuking on -v?
>
> Perhaps, though I'm not sure -v should do more than give more output.

True.

> > > Perhaps ixion actually ran out of VM or processes?
> >
> > Possibly.
> >
> > > What was the actual error message apitest gave?
> >
> > I can't remember in detail, but I think it was something like
> > "couldn't find 'Listening' in output".
>
> That probably means that xapian-tcpsrv failed to start cleanly.  There's
> not much more we can do if that happens AFAICS.

We could catch the error message from it and print it out? The test
will still fail, but more helpfully (in particular, it will be obvious
if it's a local problem, or at least it'll be obvious to me so I won't
bother other people if it happens again :-).