[Xapian-devel] Resource version in php_xapian.dll (windows)

Daniel Ménard Daniel.Menard at bdsp.tm.fr
Wed Jun 13 17:26:33 BST 2007

(following my mail in xapian-discuss on 11.06)
I revisited my resource file and came up with a much simpler solution.

I'm now using the new version.h file (no need to duplicate version
strings) and add php-src to the include path given to rc.exe so I can
get the precise php version.

On my windows, the resulting dll appears as
"Xapian 1.0.1 bindings for PHP 5.2.2"

Here is what I changed:

- In win32/Makefile, target COPYMAKFILES, added:
if exist $(XAPIAN_BINDINGS) copy version.rc $(XAPIAN_BINDINGS)\php

- In win32/win32_bindings_php.mak:
added version.res to LIB_XAPIAN_OBJS
   LIB_XAPIAN_OBJS= ".\xapian_wrap.obj" ".\version.res"

added a rule to build version.res from version.rc:
   ".\version.res": version.rc
     $(RSC) /v \
       /fo version.res \
       /I "$(XAPIAN_CORE_REL_PHP)\include" \
       /I "$(PHP_SRC_DIR)\main" \
       /d PHP_MAJOR_VERSION="\"$(PHP_MAJOR_VERSION)\"" \
       version.rc

- and here is the resource file I use (new file "version.rc" in win32):
#include "winres.h"
#include "xapian\version.h"
#include "php_version.h"

VS_VERSION_INFO VERSIONINFO
  FILEVERSION XAPIAN_MAJOR_VERSION,XAPIAN_MINOR_VERSION,XAPIAN_REVISION
  PRODUCTVERSION XAPIAN_MAJOR_VERSION,XAPIAN_MINOR_VERSION,XAPIAN_REVISION
  FILEFLAGSMASK 0x3fL
#ifdef _DEBUG
  FILEFLAGS VS_FF_DEBUG
#else
  FILEFLAGS 0x0L
#endif
  FILEOS VOS__WINDOWS32
  FILETYPE VFT_DLL
BEGIN
     BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
     BEGIN
         BLOCK "040904b0"
         BEGIN
             VALUE "ProductName", "Xapian"
             VALUE "ProductVersion", XAPIAN_VERSION
             VALUE "FileDescription", "Xapian " XAPIAN_VERSION "
bindings for PHP " PHP_VERSION
             VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright (C) 2007 Xapian"
             VALUE "FileVersion", XAPIAN_VERSION
             VALUE "URL", "http://www.xapian.org/"
             VALUE "LegalTrademarks", "Xapian is an Open Source Search
Engine Library released under the GPL."
         END
     END
END

Is there a chance for this to be incorporated in future versions of
windows makefiles...?
(after proper checking by someone more competent than me, of course!)

Daniel Ménard