[Xapian-devel] Rules for running SWIG

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Mon May 7 11:15:43 BST 2007

Olly Betts wrote:
> The automake manual (at least for automake 1.10) has a section on this
> problem.  It's probably a good idea to pick something from there to
> avoid an approach with hidden pitfalls.
>
> The simplest solution there avoids the "stamp" file but doesn't scale
> well to multiple outputs, which is a problem for C#, but probably OK for
> most languages which generate 2 or 3 outputs.
>
> There's a cleaner variant of your idea too, which only needs to check
> one file.  If you want to take a look and don't have it to hand, it's on
> ixion:
>
> info /u1/olly/automake-1.10/doc/automake.info Multiple\ Outputs
>
> But these are maintainer rules and there's an easy workaround (just
> delete the stamp file by hand too) so it can wait until after 1.0 if
> you're busy.

For the record, I've just fixed this issue, using the solution suggested
in the automake manual.  I've used the method which copes with very many
outputs even for the situations which only have 2 or 3 outputs, so that
we're using the same method everywhere and simply need to place the same
piece of code in each makefile rule which needs it (with appropriately
set filenames, of course).

It'd be nice if automake supported this itself; maybe a later version
will do.

--
Richard