[Xapian-devel] Last minute feature for 1.0.0

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu May 10 12:58:00 BST 2007

On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 12:12:49AM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:

> Don't bite my head off, but I have one final request about this patch.
> Could we instead apply the minimal patch in attachment 79 (at
> http://www.xapian.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=79&action=view
> ) which simply changes the format used to store the lastdocid value from
>  pack_uint_last() to pack_uint(), (and changes the unpack code
> correspondingly).  This would allow the metadata patches to be applied
> in the 1.0 series without breaking existing databases, and is such a
> small patch that I think the chances of it introducing new bugs are
> pretty small.

This makes sense to me. If we don't do it, either we have to make
another BC break in future (since I can think of several other things
we might want to put in the db metadata), or we'd have to have some
nasty auto-detection auto-upgrading code, which seems the wrong
approach given this patch is so small, even up against 1.0.0.