[Xapian-devel] 1.0.14 Core Build Error

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Aug 5 03:31:42 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 04:30:42PM -0400, Mike Boone wrote:
>  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./common -I./include -Wall -W
> -Wredundant-decls -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
> -Wno-long-long -Wformat-security -fno-gnu-keywords
> -Woverloaded-virtual -Wundef -Wshadow -Wstrict-null-sentinel
> -fvisibility=hidden -Werror -g -O2 -MT api/omquery.lo -MD -MP -MF
> api/.deps/omquery.Tpo -c api/omquery.cc  -fno-common -DPIC -o
> api/.libs/omquery.o
> cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
> api/omquery.cc: In constructor
> ?Xapian::Query::Query(Xapian::Query::op, Xapian::Query)?:
> api/omquery.cc:128: warning: ?__base_ctor ? is deprecated (declared at
> api/omquery.cc:118)
> make[2]: *** [api/omquery.lo] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Any ideas?

Well, "__base_ctor" is nothing to do with us, so this sounds like a
toolchain issue.  Google turns up a few hits for "__base_ctor is
deprecated", but I didn't see anything explaining it.

If you can find a fix, I can try to slot it into configure or the
makefiles.

You can work around it by just building the problematic file without
-Werror:

make CXXFLAGS=-Wno-error api/omquery.lo

And then "make" again to continue the build as normal.  If this is
widespread, just disable -Werror globally:

make CXXFLAGS=-Wno-error

Note that -Werror is only ever automatically enabled by
--enable-maintainer-mode, so this doesn't affect users building from a
tarball in the usual way.