[Xapian-devel] uuid configure issue?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Aug 7 15:51:58 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:34:12PM -0700, David Jeske wrote:
> I'm trying to build xapian-core-1.2.2 on Linux. After manually installing
> uuid.h and libuuid.a from e2fsprogs-1.41.12, I receive the following
> configure error:
>
> checking for uuid.h... yes
> checking for uuid_create... no
> configure: error: uuid.h found, but uuid_create() not found.  You probably
> wants to install libuuid from e2fsprogs (you may need to install the
> uuid-dev, libuuid-devel or e2fsprogs-devel package)
>
> However, there is no uuid_create in uuid.h/libuuid.a.
>
> This thread on gmane leads me to believe this might be from an attempt to
> make the configure work for FreeBSD, since it says the FreeBSD comes with
> uuid_create out of the box instead of uuid_generate.

Currently configure expects the e2fsprogs uuid header to be uuid/uuid.h
(not uuid.h) which is how it is installed on at least Debian and Ubuntu.

You don't say how you "manually installed" - if you copied the files
by hand, then I'd argue you've just put uuid.h in the wrong place.

But if you ran "make install" on e2fsprogs and it didn't put uuid.h in
a uuid subdirectory of PREFIX/include, then we ought to patch configure
to cope with this.