[Xapian-devel] C# bindings and string typed return values
olly at survex.com
Tue Apr 5 04:29:59 BST 2011
On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 08:55:36AM -0700, Dan Colish wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2011 3:35 AM, "Greg" <freediving at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry I'm resurrecting this topic but I've been doing some debugging /
> > research on the string topic and it seem the problem is caused by a
> > change in .NET 4.0 CLR which apparently was fixed in SWIG 2.x see
> > for more information.
> > Are there any plans to migrate Xapian to use the latest version of SWIG?
> Moving to the latest SWIG bindings has been something we've discussed a few
> times recently.
We even have a ticket for it:
I've added a note about this issue.
> I.think its a worthy goal, but it will require a lot of
> testing. Most of the bindings only have smoketests. I would not be confident
> making a change like this without a good picture of our binding test
What we've done in the past is to compare the generated code for each
language before and after. Often that makes it pretty obvious that
there's low risk of breakage, but sometimes it's not so clear.
I tried a while back, and I believe we'll need to fix stuff for PHP at
I've set the milestone for this to 1.2.6 - it won't get any easier with
time, only harder as more things change.
More information about the Xapian-devel