[Xapian-devel] fyi: 1.2.4 on MacOS

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Feb 1 11:35:18 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 06:22:49PM -0800, Adam Wight wrote:
>   I'm just letting you know that 1.2.4 compiles and runs (via PHP
> bindings, in my case) on MacOS with only one problem.  Built-in gcc
> is only at version 4.0.0, and chokes on "-Wstrict-null-sentinel".
> The configure script may safely omit this option at least when using
> gcc.

It appears this was added in GCC 4.0.1.  To keep things simple, I've
shifted it so it's only enable for GCC >= 4.1 now.  Thanks for reporting
this.

> I can send you the binaries if that's helpful, but regretfully cannot
> help maintain fink/macports pkgs, which are stuck at xapian 1.0.x.

Thanks for the offer, but I think we probably don't want to host
binaries which we aren't able to keep current, or else pretty quickly
downloaders will have to choose between a current source release or
an older binary, which doesn't look good.

It's a real shame fink and macports are behind though.  Hopefully
they'll get updated soon.