[Xapian-devel] Interest in developement as a student

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jul 27 14:08:40 BST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 02:45:29PM +0530, Varun Agrawal wrote:
> I am an undergraduate student studying computer science and I am interested
> in working in your Open Source projects.
> I read about you from TeachingOpenSource.org.

Hello and welcome.

> I am, however, new to Open Source project development thus I am seeking a
> mentor and an opportunity to present my skills and make valuable
> contributions to your projects.

We're certainly happy to mentor new contributors.  There's nothing
terribly formal about it - we'll steer you in the right direction, and
feel free to just ask any questions you have and we'll try to answer
them.

The first stage is probably to make sure you can check out and build
the code.  It's best to work with the latest version from the source
code repository - see here for details:

http://xapian.org/bleeding

You can either use Subversion (svn) or git.  If you don't know either
yet, I'd suggest using git.

Once you've managed to check out and build the code, you need to find
something to work on.  We've been building up a list of projects ideas
with a good assortment of sizes and in different areas - take a look and
see if anything appeals:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/ProjectIdeas

If not, give us an idea what your interests and skills are and we can
try to suggest something.