[Xapian-devel] GSOC 2011 : Weighting Schemes

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Mar 21 16:08:02 GMT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:49:07AM +1100, Sumith Matharage wrote:
> At the same time since I haven't used Xapian before, thought of
> get familiarize with that too.
>
> What is your input on that? Any suggestions to improve my knowledge in this
> project?

If you haven't already, I'd suggest starting by checking the latest code
out from the version control system (either svn or git) and getting it
to build.  The place to start is:

http://xapian.org/bleeding

You'll need to be able to work from one of the VCSes for the project, so
you might as well start now.

Once you have it building, just start to have a poke around.  There are
documentation comments for the public API and a lot of internal things
too, and there's a collection of documentation of internal things here:

http://xapian.org/docs/internals.html

If you're wanting something productive to do which would help you
get to grips with the code, you could take a look at the coverage report
(which measures how much of the code gets exercised by "make check") and
see if you can manage to add a new testcase which exercises some code
which isn't currently exercised.  There's a current report here:

http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/lcov/

Feel free to ask if you've any questions.