[Xapian-devel] GSOC 2011 : Weighting Schemes and Matcher Optimisations

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Mar 25 05:45:37 GMT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 05:40:26PM +0100, Santiago Pina Ros wrote:
> I have decided to apply for Matcher Optimisations project, but I don´t
> really know how I should start.
> I am reading the documentation recomended in the list of project ideas but I
> think that I should start understanding how the search engine works, what is
> a PostList, etc...
> Can you guide me on how to start and what should I read?

This document is a good starting point:

http://xapian.org/docs/matcherdesign.html

I've just updated it to more accurately reflect the current status, but
it may still be wrong in a few details.  The overall picture is accurate
though.

There are other useful links here:

http://xapian.org/docs/internals.html

The "internal classes" link allow you to browser most of the internal
classes, for example here's MultiAndPostList:

http://xapian.org/docs/sourcedoc/html/classMultiAndPostList.html