[Xapian-devel] Interested in GSOC projects

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Mar 29 08:06:14 BST 2011

We're trying to keep GSoC traffic on xapian-devel, unless it is actively
seeking feedback from the wider community of users.  We're let them know
they can subscribe to xapian-devel to follow the action, but this way
they aren't forced to get all the email about GSoC.

So I'm replying to xapian-devel - please keep replies there.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 08:26:18PM +0530, saurabh kumar wrote:
> I am interested and would love to work on the following projects:
>
>  -  QueryParser Reimplementation
>  -  Improve Spelling Correction
> [...]
> In fact I have worked on programming problems similar to both these projects.

If you really have no preference, you brief summary of your experience
sounds more in line with the QueryParser proposal, but don't be put
off applying for the other if that appeals more.

> I would be grateful if you could provide me with further details on
> the above-mentioned project and help me in writing the proposal

Did you read the linked to resource on the ideas page?  These give you
further details for each of the ideas.  If you have any specific
questions after reviewing that information, do let us know.

There are links to resources for helping you write a good proposal
here:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCApplicationTemplate

Once you have a reasonable version together, you can submit it in
melange and we can comment on it.  You can submit updated versions up
until the submission deadline.

> and comment on the chances of these projects being selected by Google.

Google don't select the projects - they allocate us a number of slots
and we choose that many proposals.

We're really looking for compelling applications.  If you submit an
application we just can't turn down, then that's one we'll go for.