[Xapian-devel] Learning to Rank : GSoC 2012

Ashish Sadh asheesh.sadh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 06:00:20 BST 2012

Hello all,

This is in reference to "Learning to Rank" Project Idea. [I know, i made
the entry a bit late, but hope you are still in interest to help out]
I am looking for suggestions to help me narrowing down the choices of
algorithms. I had been readily surveying on the referred algorithms for the
purpose of choosing the right one. I am mentioning here some of my doubts
to discuss and make my concepts clear about the algorithms, so i should end
up choosing the most suitable one. I am sure your input would be fruitful
for me in effectively drafting my proposal.
The listnet looks like computationally more complex compared to ranknet. So
, is there any big advantage (in terms of improvement in ndcg/map) to move
to listnet AND the optimization suggested in the paper to look for top one
seems too simple. What will be the impact on accuracy and is there any way
to speed up /optimize listnet?
For adarank i didnt understand how is it superior compared to linear
regression??
I was also trying to search for open-source package for training listnet to
save time and focus on more important aspects of library enhancements, but
didn't get any suitable one. However, FANN is still in my to-check list,
and meanwhile i was just experimenting to train list-net in octave by
reusing some of my ml-class code (an online course by Professor Andrew Ng
that i participated in). What is the quickest way to understand the
modularity to be-involved while implementing any algorithm to serve the
current need.

Thanks,

Regards,
Ashish Sadh
B.Tech, final year student.
Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad, India.