[Xapian-devel] GSoC student application deadline

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Apr 5 07:36:44 BST 2012

The deadline for student applications is 19:00 UTC on Friday 6th April:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012

That's just over 36 hours away as I write this.

The deadline is sharply enforced by the melange software, and you
won't get an extension, so don't leave it until the last few seconds, as
you might have an unexpected internet outage.

There's also no need to leave it so late - if you've submitted before
then, you can update your application up to the deadline.  Once the
deadline has passed, you can no longer update the proposal, but you can
add comments.

We'll try to comment on proposals received before the deadline to give
you a chance to improve them in response to feedback, but if you leave
it too late, we won't have time to.  At least 24 hours is useful; 12 is
probably the realistic minimum, at least for me.

We get an email when a proposal is submitted or updated, so there's
no need to ping us on the list or by IRC too.

There's also some general guidance at:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2012

So have a read through that first, and you'll avoid some of the common
mistakes in your initial application.  I've already seen a few timelines
which look rather like the example of how *NOT* to do it.