[Xapian-devel] Starting to work for xapian

Rajan Walia rajanwalia92 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 13:49:19 GMT 2012

For starting I want to work on this:
Replace getopt() with popt() or similar

A longer term aim is to be able to relicense Xapian under a more
liberal licence.

One obstacle is that we use GNU getopt, which is GPL, so it would be
helpful to replace this with something else which provides at least
the same user functionality. One option is popt, which is MIT/X
licensed and provides a slightly higher level API:

 http://directory.fsf.org/project/popt/

There are a number of other command line option parsing libraries, so
there are probably others with a suitable licence and functionality.
The simplest option in terms of requiring the least changes to the
code would be a getopt implementation which supports GNU-style long
options, if such a thing exists with a suitable licence.

So that I can get a flow with the code before GSoC. I wanted little
tips to start working on this.
Thanks,
 Rajan